Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I <3 My Job

I received an email that kind of opened my eyes. It said that in my previous post I didn't have the same enthusiasm as previous posts. This saddens me because outside of all of the company issues, I really love my job!

At this time I am having a few issues with the way things are being run. Luckily the AFA is working to change these issues in my company. I came in at a really crazy time, right in the middle of contract negotiations. Our contract is expired and no one can seem to agree on important issues such as the structure of our companies reserve.

But I feel lucky because this is an amazing experience. Even on my bad days all it takes is a little girl drawing me a picture to remember how hard I worked for this, and how badly I wanted it. I was so excited I received a comment card from a family that said that I made their first flying experience truly memorable. I am glad that I am able to make memories.

I even find joy in the older women stopping me with a "stewardess," others take offence to it. But I think it is a complement to be associated with the glory days of flying.

I feel bad that with working for a low cost carrier I can't provide simple amenities that customers want such as pillows, blankets, or even milk (due to no refrigerators). But I try to make up for it in other ways.

So if I discouraged anyone in anyway... stick with it, keep trying. Virgin America is hiring at this time and Jet Blue is supposed to be opening more English speaking positions at the end of summer.

5 comments:

  1. Hey girl! How are you? Happy to hear you love the job...hang in there with the rest. You'll know if you need to make the switch...I'm with one of the majors...when I started with them things weren't so good...in fact we were the lowest paid of the big airlines and about to go under. Things change fast in this industry...my airline is the top paid of the majors...you just never know. Virgin looks like a good company to work for!

    I love your previous post on what you've learned by the way! Great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I've been great. I'm hanging in there as hard as it can be sometimes... ahhh, the life of a Reserve FA! :) I would love to be with one of the majors, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

    Thank you for all of your encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie, I love reading your blog. I found your "Things I learned..." post really funny. You sound like such a hard working employee who loves her job. I know that shows in all you that you do...don't think for one second that it won't pay off someday in a very big way. It Will!!! As a Flight Attendant Mom I know how hard Reserve is, hang in there because it is soooooo worth it! Don't let anyone get you down! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie--where are you these days? I miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete