Thursday, April 30, 2009

The first trip... fabulous or the trip from hell?

So my first trip had an amazing start...

I had an awesome crew, great pax, even some kick ass layovers! It was all good until day 3 when suddenly I felt dizzy and weak on my ATL-MEM. I managed to start feeling a little better after my lead fed me some oatmeal. But that didn't last long... From MEM - ATL I was in the lav throwing up almost the entire flight... By the time we landed I was so weak I could barely lift my laptop bag. They called crew sched and I was taken off the trip and then the fun really began.

I was taken to my Inflight Manager's office and could barely walk and spent about a half an hour with my head in the trash can as they tried to figure out what to do with me. They decided I couldn't fly home until I had been cleared by a doctor so I was sent to the Aeroclinic upstairs. I don't even remember the wheelchair ride up there. When I arrived they slapped a mask on me and did a pregnancy test... after that was ruled out they discovered I was very dehydrated. I was hooked up to an IV and slowly started to feel a little better. The next thing I know they are asking me where I have flown in the past week and then because I was close to some of the Swine Flu outbreaks they contacted the CDC. They were trying to figure out if I needed to go to the emergency room to get tested or not. After deciding I can't fly I was sent back to Inflight and they put me up in a room for the night. After I woke up I was feeling much better and went back to the Aeroclinic to get cleared. The doctor on staff was upset that they didn't test me yesterday so I was sent for testing and luckily it came back negative... I do not have the Pig Flu!!! I was finally cleared to fly and now I am back in TPA for the weekend looking forward to a few days of bed rest and a clear liquid diet...

Who knew my first four day would be so eventful?

6 comments:

  1. Brace yourself...I was sick more my first year of flying than I ever was my whole life! Your body is getting used to flying and your exposed to a lot of different people and germs! Stock up on vitamin c and wash your hands constantly: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Glad you're ok. I have never gotten sick in my flying career until last Xmas, I got all sick and had to be pushed through the terminal in a wheel chair. I was so embarrassed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Flying Pinto. I was sick a ton, I think its just getting used to everything and I was commuting as well so all the time on the planes to and from work didn't help. I took vitamins, drank oj every morning and also used Airbourne. (I think it works and this is still my routine in the winter right after the seasons change... its when i get the flu each year.)
    Just make sure to remember and drink loooots of water as well! Glad you are feeling better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Hopefully next week will go better. :) My managers were great and even gave me a few days to rest.

    Traytable - I get how you felt... Luckily going there I was so out of it I couldn't be embarrassed... But coming back I had on a big mask because they hadn't ruled out the swine flu yet lol. I actually had one person refuse to get in an elevator with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are ok! It is normal to get sick on your first trip tho, esp with nerves and it all being very new!

    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete