Saturday, April 25, 2009

My First Week

So I had a few days off and then I had my first flight a San Juan turn. I was so nervous but it turned out really well. There wasn't anything too eventful except for the fact that I was flying lead on an overbooked flight. My pax were very supportive and gave me an applause after my safety demo announcement. When we were over the Bahamas I got to go up in the flight deck. It was such a beautiful view! The only problem I had was after landing check when an entire row stood up. The woman at the window seat wanted to use the lav, I informed them that the seat belt light was on and one girl got in my face because the window pax "was sleeping when the light was off." I just backed up and told them that we would be on the ground shortly and to please take your seats. I walked away and that over. I didn't get to stay in SJU long but the flight back only had 30 pax and most slept the entire flight back. It seems like it takes a lot longer when there is less to do.

I went back to the hotel and woke up early for another turn... this time DFW. Again it was a simple trip there and back. I flew L2 so I was in the back. On our trip back we experienced some turbulence so I was tripping because I am not used to it yet. Now for the fun part... I did something I said I would never do... I gave my number to a pax! When he was first boarding the plane I thought he looked very sharp in his Air Force uniform, he said he was on his way back home to IND, my hometown! So later when I was on the cart he started talking to me because he remembered that I had mentioned that I was from Indy and we started talking a bit. He was napping the second time I went through. When I was breaking down the cart I wrote my number down on a napkin and stuck it in my pocket and went about my business. Later on I noticed a water bottle on the floor next to his seat so I went to pick it up and we got to talking for a little while. He is actually going to be based in TPA where I live. He seemed really nice so I reached in my pocket and discreetly handed him my number and said to call me if he wanted to get together sometime. I went ahead and walked away and then I started to doubt myself... I hadn't even thought to ask if he had someone back home, I was a little embarrassed because I never give out my number unless someone asks me. So when I stepped off the plane I was very surprised to see him waiting for me because he accidental dropped my number. :) I ended up hanging out with him until his connecting flight arrived. I ended up having the next few days off and because I couldn't get into TPA I went up to IND to visit family and gave him a call and we might get together later!

6 comments:

  1. YAY!!! Congrats on completing some of your first flights. Sounds like you already know you are going to love this career! It is very fun.

    Way to go on giving that guy your number... just wait until they start giving theirs to you. I get a lot of numbers from older men. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting. I just got hired too. I start training in June cuz' I am waiting until I graduate from college. I just have 1 class left to take. How many hours are you scheduled for this month? I am wondering if you got much more than the guaranteed 70. Also...how are hotels?? Trying to see the quality of them.

    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Sounds like you're off to a great start...just don't get to fired up if people don't listen to you about the seat belt sign and such..you're an informer not an enforcer: ) It makes the job 100% easier if you remember that.

    And good for you for handing out your number..don't feel embarrassed this is 2009 not 1950: ) You can even keep your job if you get married;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments and support :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're in such a fun stage...the newness of the job is the best! Enjoy it.

    And good for you for giving out your #!

    Glad to have found another FA blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) I'll look forward to reading yours!

    ReplyDelete