Sunday, March 1, 2009

What a day!

Friday I went back to ATL for processing and what a day! I was so nervous that I only slept for about an hour the night before. I got to the airport and had issue with TSA because the suit I was wearing had a built in top and they kept telling me to remove my jacket and I couldn't and they were really starting to get mad at me even when I was showing them it was attached. So finally I just asked if they would like me to remove my shirt, and they shut up pretty quick.

My plane left at a reasonable time. I was lucky the middle seat was empty on the flight but in the aisle was this annoying pax that felt the need to keep touching my arm and when he slept he snored. But it wasn't a normal snore, it sounded like he couldn't breath because he was gasping for air. I also was around a lot of sneezing sick people which reminded me to add Airborne to my list of things I want to keep in my rollabord.

We hit bad weather in GA and had to circle the airport once before landing. There was a lot of traffic coming in so I was still sitting on the plane in taxi when I was supposed to be boarding the shuttle. I was worried so I ran the dreaded call button and asked the FA if she could call someone to let them know that I was late, because I forgot the numbers at home. She not only told me who to call but handed me her phone to use. I thought it was very nice of her. I got in touch with my recruiter and she said not to worry that another shuttle would come.

I waited out in the cold and there were two other people. I wasn't sure if they were waiting for the shuttle so I just kept to myself because I was tired and lacking caffeine. Eventually the shuttle came and it turns out they were in my group. They turned out to be very nice.

We waited for what seems like forever at the clinic to get started. First they gave me a drug screening and also checked my urine for protein, blood, and sugar. I had to fill out a really long form about my previous medical history. And then they weighed me and measured my height. According to them I grew, I was about 5'6.

I did an eye exam. Then I was put in a waiting room where they did my blood pressure and was told to strip down and put a gown on. It was taking awhile so a nurse came in and gave me orange juice and pretzels. When the doctor finally came she seemed very nice. She did a lot of normal things but the weirdest thing was when she told me to turn my head and cough. I always thought that was a guy thing. But who knows? The strangest part was that no one, including the guys had this happen to them.

After that I went back to physical therapy and I had to walk between two tables to show I could fit in the isles. I had to pull back something really heavy, lift a 40 pound suitcase over my head. Show I have the arm span to work the emergency exits, and push this huge heavy cart and then pull it back to me. Everyone said pulling it was hard, but for me it was the pushing. Then they took my blood pressure again.

I have no clue if we actually passed or not. We were still waiting so me and one girl wanted to grab something to eat. The driver said there was a Wendy's just down the street, so we decided to go. It was sprinkling and very cold outside, but we made it there with hardly any trouble. After we ate it was pouring so when we made it back to the clinic we were soaked.

We took the shuttle over to the training center and filled out our paperwork for a background check. We filled out our I-9 forms and they made sure we had passports, or a receipt for one. After that we went for fingerprinting and uniform fittings.

The women's uniforms had a lot of choices a pant outfit, skirt outfit, two different dresses, and different cardigans and scarves. I tried on the two dresses. There was one I knew I wanted with gold buttons up the front of it. I tried it on and if I do say so myself, I looked hot! I tried the other dress that was a little more plain and simple and it looked adorable on me. So I chose the two dresses. I've got the sexy, and the sweet and innocent.(:
I chose both the square and rectangle scarf and a nice black trench coat. They also ordered our rollabords. We also got a study guide for training! I'll know more when all the information comes back!

We took a shuttle back to the airport and went ahead through security. We had a lot of time before the flight so we grabbed a snack and headed over to the terminal. We found out our flight had been moved so we went to the new gate and there was a plane boarding going to Indianapolis. They closed the gate and it started with only a couple people asking to board, and then it turned into a long line. It delayed our flight and finally I was able to go home! I slept most of the flight home because I was exhausted. We hit some turbulence over the gulf that woke me up and then I made it to the airport.

I went home and went to bed. Although I don't actually remember going to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie, Congrats and good luck with training! Please keep posting, this is so great I wish blogging was around 16 years ago when I started flying! Training is tough but you've got a lot of great adventures headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am so excited! I figured it would be a great way for family and friends to keep up with what's going on in my life. And it will be nice to look back on someday :)

    ReplyDelete